Reception 2021 - 2022
Welcome to the Emerald & Sapphire's class page!
Reception Team: Mrs Lakin, Mr Smith, Miss Johnson, Mrs Bell, Miss Riley, Miss Kilby and Mrs Kaur
In Early Years Foundation Stage we plan our curriculum to help develop the whole child and prepare them for their future.
At Balby Central Primary Academy we deliver the Early Year’s Foundation Stage Curriculum. We plan activities for all areas of the curriculum. The curriculum is divided into 7 areas of learning.
These are the prime areas of learning:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Self Confidence and Self Awareness
Managing Feelings and Behaviour
- Communication and Language
Listening and Attention
- Physical Development
Moving and Handling
Health and Self Care
And the specific areas of learning:
Shape, Space and Measure
- Understanding the Word
People and Communities
- Expressive Arts and Design
Exploring and Using Media and Materials
We also focus on the Characteristics of Effective Learning:
- Playing and Exploring
- Active Learning
- Creating and Thinking Critically
Adults will encourage children to use the characteristics of effective learning providing opportunities in all areas.
Children will not only be praised for results and outcomes but for the process and attitude towards an activity.
In Early Years we focus on being Ready, Respectful and Safe. We aim for children to develop a good understanding of what these behaviours look like and how they can demonstarte them.
In Reception children get time to independently explore the classroom and outside environment alongside adult guided sessions. We follow Read, Write, Inc for phonics, reading and writing and Maths Mastery for our maths sessions. We also have a daily maths meeting.
Each week we have a story time focus text. The texts we study can be seen in the table below -
The Gingerbread Man
The Three Little Pigs
Little Red Riding Hood
The Tiger Who Came to Tea
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Great Fire of London story
Six Dinner Sid
Jolly Christmas Postman
Oi! Get off our Train
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
The Smartest Giant in Town
Lost and Found
The Darkest Dark
Here Comes Jack Frost
Squash and a squeeze
What the Ladybird Heard
Mad about Minibeasts
The 3 Billy Goats Gruff
The Dragon who Swallowed a Knight
The Princess and the Wizard
Duck in the Truck
The Ugly Duckling
Where the Wild Things Are
The Storm Whale
Fantastic Elastic Brain
Recap favourite books
A few helpful reminders:
- On Monday's, we have indoor and outdoor PE (children to come to school in PE kit.)
- On Fridays, books must be brought into school and the children will swap them for another.
- We will be outside in all weather. Please ensure you have appropriate clothes and shoes and rememebr that your child is likely to get dirty at times.
To help your child learn, you could:
- Talk to them about their school day
- Share the book they bring home from school with them
- Provide opportunities for your child to use skills in real life situations such as writing their name on a card, writing a shopping list or paying and getting the change
- Completing any work sent home
- Complete the activities set on Maths with Parents and Gooseberry Planet, together.
- Enjoy the outdoors as much as you can
Keep an eye on here for weekly class updates, celebrations and news.
Reception: Blog items
There are no blog items to display